Scurvy is a kind of accompany diseases of malnutrition resulting from a deficiency of vitamin C. Nowadays, Scurvy does not occur in most adults, however, if an infant was only fed by bottle milk, and without the replenishment of vitamins, it has a chance of developing Scurvy. As bottle milk usually sterilized by pasteurization, this method not only kill germs, but also the vitamin C in milk. Therefore, doctors always encourage baby to be fed by breast milk, which normally consist of sufficient vitamin C to get rid of diseases like Scurvy.
PATIENTS CAN EXPERIENCE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS:
LACK OF VITAMIN C CAN ALSO CAUSE MANY OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS, LIKE:
- Gum inflammation and bleeding, fall of teeth
- Susceptibility to skin bleeding, burst of capillary vessels
- Weakness, fatigue
- Bone pain, swollen and aching joints
MOREOVER, VITAMIN C HAS MANY FUNCTIONS, INCLUDING:
- Helps synthesize collagen; promotes the growth and repair of cells, gum, teeth, blood vessels and bones
- Helps healing after operation and injury
- Helps calcium and iron absorption
- Enhances immunity
We can intake foods which are rich in vitamin C everyday in order to keep a healthy body. For instance, citrus fruits (mandarin, orange, grapefruit, lemon), strawberry, black current, kiwi fruit, tomato, green leafy vegetables, green pepper.